Friday, August 28, 2009

Gardening

This is the first year I've tried to have a garden produce anything. It has NOT yielded the results I'd hoped for, but I've enjoyed it nonetheless. Right now, we've got Morning Glories, Snapdragons, and Pansies blooming. We also have a couple of cucumbers growing, and several bell peppers. Out Thyme transplant is doing well, and my Basil suddenly is growing like crazy--apparently it needs more sun than it was getting before. We've used a lot of fresh Parsley over the summer, and it's still doing okay. We've had a couple of carrots and onions, but the onions were infected with little grub things. We've gotten two zucchini so far, and while there are lots of blossoms, there aren't any signs of more fruit...weird. It's entertainment, exercise, outside time, and more...but mostly, it's satisfying in a way that rivals finding those amazing deals. That's my rambling for today... Have you had success gardening? I'd love to know what my readers have learned, so leave a comment and share!

1 comment:

  1. We had about four zuchini plants in our garden. I am down to two and expect to get about 6 or 7 more zucchini unless the snow today ended that! We easily got about 20 zucchini, I handed a bunch to three different neigbors and gave any away that I could to people that came to visit my house, all that and we still had enough to enjoy for our own family. I didnt make any zucchini bread this year, but I think its because I know how much I love it and was trying to avoid too much baked goods. With the last harvest I might freeze some for future loaves, but I dont really have much experience with that.
    Our cucumbers were not very fruitful, we had to plant and I got three cucs total. ugh!! We had grean beans, and peas, and radishes.. and spinach.. lettuce and rhubarb.. oh and three strawberries. We will most likely make another raised bed, and plant other things like egg plant or cabbage.. I need to see what does well in this area. Glad your cucumbers and peppers did well. and so glad it was a great experience!

    ReplyDelete