Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sunflower Market...

So...my boys love pearsauce. We've purchased it in the past through our church cannery, but that was in Denver and we only have dry pack in the Springs. Now that we have baby food in the house again, the boys occasionally ask to eat some of the baby pearsauce...I tell them no, of course, but wish I could buy more at a reasonable price. Enter Sunflower Market, with a sale on pears, $.33/lb. I debated if it would be worth the trip; I hadn't been there once even. I decided to see if I could borrow canning equipment and that if I was able to, I'd try making pearsauce, and canning it.

So tonight I headed up to Sunflower Market and bought about 20 lbs of beautiful bartlett pears. I also got some grapes, some bulk oats, steel cut oats, and rice...all for under $14. Before the weekend is out, I hope to can a bunch of pearsauce, though I have no clue how far it will go. I do my major shopping at the commissary, but I stockpile from other stores, and I am certain that if I can learn to can fresh produce in ways my family will enjoy, I will not only be more self-sufficient at providing for our needs, I will feed us better and healthier AND save $$ in the process. YAY for pears!

No comments:

Post a Comment